May 14, 2019 | Atlanta, GA
May is National Bike Month, and the campus and city are host to several fun and exciting events.
Georgia Tech, a nationally designated, gold-level bike-friendly university, supports traveling to and around campus by clean, active transportation modes such as bicycling.
Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) will host an energizer station on Bike There Day this Friday, May 17, from 7 to 9 a.m. along the Fifth Street bike lane next to the PTS office in Tech Square. Stop by for snacks, giveaways, and safety items. The Georgia Tech Police Department (GTPD) will assist with bike registrations, and Bike GT representatives will be in attendance.
- Other Midtown bike energizer stations will be located at:
- 10th Street along Piedmont Park.
- Colony Square.
- Atlantic Station.
- Midtown Alliance will also host a Bike Train ride on Friday, May 17.
Get ready for Bike There Day with a free bike class at Atlantic Station on Thursday, May 16, at 5:30 p.m., hosted by the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. Meet at the Relay Bike Share hub located on District Avenue near 17th Street.
If you’d like to try cycling before investing in your own bike, consider renting one from PTS for the semester. The BuzzBike rental program offers bicycles for $50/semester in the summer and $60 for fall and spring. Applications are now open for summer and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Other events on campus and around Atlanta this month include:
- Atlanta Cycling Festival: May 11–17. The week features both social and educational events, celebrating biking in all its forms.
- Georgia Tech Employee Well-Being Week: There will be daily events to support exercise and good health for the Georgia Tech community.
- Community Bike Night: Join the Georgia Tech and Atlanta police departments for a casual ride around Home Park on Thursday, May 23. The ride begins at 6 p.m. at the Landon Learning Center.
For those considering biking for leisure or commuting, several campus resources are available:
- Relay Bike Share: Georgia Tech is home to several Relay Bike Share stations, and students or employees with a gatech.edu email address can join for a discounted rate of $7.50/month for 90 minutes of ride time per day.
- Jump Bikes: Offers electric bike share bicycles.
- Discounted helmets: Available for $12 from PTS.
- Discounted locks: Available for $15 from Starter Bikes.
- Bike registration: Registering your bike with GTPD can assist with bicycle recovery in the event of theft or removal from campus racks.
- Starter Bikes: Offers repairs and inexpensive bike sales on campus.
- Monthly bike/scooter education classes: Classes are led by PTS, GTPD, and Bike GT. Dates for summer and fall will be announced soon.
- Bike commute listserv: Sign up for email updates and conversation related to commuting by bike on or near campus.
For questions about biking to or on campus, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.